Saturday, March 16, 2013

Study Tips : Shorthand


I'll start this off with saying that my hand writing is awful, may worse than Doctor awful.  This, combined with the large amount of handwritten notes I take led to me developing a good number of shortcuts when writing.  These short cuts have helped speed up not only my note taking, but the speed at which I can make note cards (a very boring task at times!).  It also cuts down on the quantity of paper I have to use to contain everything.

There is training you can get on actual shorthand.  Secretaries and others taking tons of notes utilize it to write quickly and accurately.  I have not gotten into any of it, although I was much more interested when I was still taking hand written notes.

Unfortunately if you are sharing your notes or cards with anyone, these can make it quite challenging for them.  I have shared my cards with co-workers and have had to spend some time teaching them my short cuts.  The thing to keep in mind is that it doesn't matter what shorthand you use, just be consistent with yourself so you don't get confused.  There are a few shorthand shortcuts I use that have confused me (Auth can mean either Authentication or Authorization... oops) which I have had to go back and change.  It did take a bunch of discipline to un-learn.

Just like Mnemonics, your short hand doesn't have to make sense to anyone else, and it doesn't have to make sense out of context either.  Just be careful that you setup symbols and shortcuts that you will remember.  Even draw up a list, print it out and use it until you remember them all.

Moving on to some suggestions for short hand!  Remember, it doesn't matter what you use, just be consistent with what you use, and be open to change.

@ = "At"

Replace the word "at" with the "@" symbol.  This was one of the first ones I figured out, mostly since we all use it daily with email addresses.  The symbol is quite fluid when handwritten, so while replace "at" with a similarly sized symbol I find it easier to write.

"-/"  =  Not

I use this one frequently.  I remember it from a predicate logic class in college.  Basically it means "not" (whatever comes next), or "opposite" (whatever comes next).  So if I write "The light should be -/red" it would mean the light will be any color but red.

Pcol = Protocol

Replace the word "Protocol" with Pcol.  I haven't seen any word ever in English (which I am less than skilled at) that starts with Pcol, so it's unlikely you'll mix this up with anything.  I used this one a LOT when I was working on Security+ (there's a ton of protocols to understand), and am continued using it in Project+, although not to the extent I had.

Msg = Message

Using "Msg" instead of Message.  This one is a bit more widely used (at least in some of the games I have played in the past).  It showed up a bit more in Project+ than the others, but still shows up.

SVC = Service 

SVC popped up in all the certifications I've taken.  When I use it I tend to put it in all caps just so I know it's the short hand.

SVR = Server 

SVR also showed up in all the certifications I've taken.  Servers also show up a lot in IT (shocker, I know) so I have kept using it in notes at my current job.  This is another one I try to keep capitalized.

Dest = Destination 

Dest found it's life mainly in Network+ and Security+.  

Nwork = Network

Nwork came about in my first Certification, Network+ (also a shocker...).  I've used it fairly consistently in my note taking, not only for technical stuff but for other functions as well.

Sec = Security
I began using Sec during my Security+ training.  It took some getting used to to remember this one (I am not sure why) but it certainly came in handy.

Auth = Authentication... OR Authorization

This one was dangerous.  The terms "Authentication" and "Authorization" came up a LOT in Security+ and I kept forgetting which one Auth meant.  I mainly began using contextual clues to tell me which one it should be.

HW, SW = Hardware and Software

I started using these when I began taking inventory at one of my older jobs.  I began to circle them so I knew they were short hand, and it's stuck with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment