Friday, March 8, 2013

Certifications: CompTIA Network +


After A+ many folks go for CompTIAs Network+.  In the same way A+ covers the basics if how computers operate, Network+ covers how networks operate.  Some network questions appear on A+, but it only covers the bare bones basics.  Similarly to A+ it does not cover many technical skills (most of the technical knowledge covered is just some basic command line stuff like tracert and ping), but instead focuses on overall knowledge of networking.  If you are interested in pursuing it I highly recommend Professor Messers great series of videos explaining every part of the exam, as well as the Sybex line of books (I have had good personal experiences with this particular brand, but there are many options out there!).

As with most examinations I have had, the single most challenging portion for me was memorizing seemingly useless information.  Quick, what does TCP port 21 do normally?  What is 10baseT?  I find that kind of information to be mostly make work as in the real world I can Google it (and I do!).  Just like A+ flashcards were my friend for the drill and kill information.  That said, you MUST know all the Port numbers, and the differences between cabling (at least for N10-004, the Network+ certification I hold.  Currently they are on N10-005, which may have slightly different requirements!).

Quick, what kind of network is this?
Definitely know the different kinds of network topologies, as well as the differences in network hardware.  I found it very useful to look at real network maps to understand how some of the components can interact with each other.  Knowing network security was also important.

This exam is linked with A+ and Security+ for expiration dates; earning one will renew the others.  I didn't figure that out until I earned my Security+ which was a nice surprise.  Many folks dislike the fact that certifications expire, but technology is always changing.  An A+ from ten years ago may be viewed as largely out of date (token ring? whats that?).  Not all of the information will be stale, especially if you keep up your job experience, but it is still out of date.

Network+ is an excellent bridge into the CCNA offered by Cisco (not something I think I will pursue since I hear it locks you into Cisco a bit and is rather technical in nature), and is excellent for Security+ as well.  Overall it is a great certification for someone looking to get into Network Engineer or Administration.  The A+, Network+ and Security+ form a bit of a triumvirate of basic IT knowledge, having all three will help round you out.

No comments:

Post a Comment