Thursday, April 4, 2013

Preparation is Key : Job Interviews

Information Interviews, which are focused mainly on just helping you figure out what is going on and what direction to head.  They are very important in determining your next steps.  They are, however, mainly only used to help you figure out what to do.  A Job Interview is what actually gets you the job.

Job interviews can be scary.  They can be boring.  They can be long.  They can be short.  For me, they seemed to be all of those things.  I have been through three Job Interviews in IT, one for my volunteer position at Free Geek, another for my part time position, and a third for my current full time position.  They all had minor differences, but they all shared quite a bit.

What They Shared

Many things were similar between those three interviews.  I was asked why I wanted the job, what I had to offer, what I wanted to get from it, and what I expected.  I was quizzed on my technical skills, my work ethic and what I think of team work.  In general, they are going to try and determine if you'll be a good fit for their team.  They already have a working group, and they don't want to disrupt it too much by adding a loose cannon.

Definitely be ready to either demonstrate your technical skill (especially in IT), provide samples of your work, or answer questions about your skills.  They're hiring someone to do a highly skilled job (setting up AD accounts, coding Python, managing a team, whatever), and they will want to see a sample before they take you on.  If you don't know an answer to a question (or forget!) be honest, just let them know.  You'll never know everything, and they don't expect you to.

In all three cases, I also asked questions.  Not only are they gaining someone (if I were to be hired) but I would have to work with them.  There are a ton of guides on how to interview out there (take some time a read them!), but I always asked three questions, more if I had time.
  • Whats the best part of the job.
  • Whats the worst part of the job.
  • Why do others enjoy working here.
All three questions gave me a good idea of what the company is like.  I never had anyone refuse to answer any of them (though they did try to minimize that second one...), although if they do it is likely a red flag.  If someone is unwilling to share with me what they personally dislike (or like) about a work environment I am immediately suspicious.  Regardless, definitely ask a few questions, not only will it help you learn about your potential job, but it will show them you are actually interested (also know something about the company you're interviewing with.  Google it.).

What was Different

Each interview took place in a different location, one in a back office, another in the only office and the third in a conference room where I was heavily outnumbered.  I took into consideration what environment I was walking into, and tailored my outfit to the best match I could think of.  For Free Geek I wore jeans and a t-shirt.  For the others, slacks and button down.  (Doing some recon before hand and determining what folks wear can be very helpful).

The formality was one of the largest differences.  Free Geek only took one interview, and I was told immediately that I got the position.  The part-time job had three interviews, one on the phone, another in person, and a third in person for technical questions.  The full-time position was one hour long interview with me and four others (a recruiter, a potential co-worker, my boss and his boss.  No pressure).

Definitely prepare for your Job Interviews.  Make sure you know how to get where you're going and leave plenty of time to arrive (I've gotten lost before, but was saved by having an extra 15 minutes).  If it is a technical position, be ready to answer questions or provide examples of work. And don't forget, relax!  They can be very nerve-wrecking, but if you're prepared and relax, you'll do the best job you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment