Saturday, April 6, 2013

Preparation Is Key : Informational Interviews

When I began getting back into IT I had no clue what to look for.  I didn't know what paths there were, what options I had for training, what to pursue with that training or how to get in the door.  Much of my time was spent answering those questions, and before I set foot inside a classroom or began to applying for jobs I interviewed.  I didn't interview for a job, I interviewed for information.

Information interviews were very important in getting me back into IT.  They began very small, cornering people I know who worked in IT (Programmers, Security Admins, Techs, etc.) and just picking their brain.

  • What kind of skills do they have?
  • Where do they work?
  • How hard was it to get their job?
  • Do they have any advice for a newbie like me?
Eventually, some of these first wave interviews turned into more formal affairs with their bosses or, when I really lucked out, their Director of IT.  Keep in mind these were not an attempt to get a job, or find an opening.  Instead it was just a sit down conversation about IT, and about how that person sees things.  I got a lot of contradictory advice (certification is bad, certification is good, get a degree, don't get a degree, get a degree if you want a degree), but I also  got a lot of really good advice.
  • Are you more interested in Infrastructure or Applications?
  • Are you willing to relocate?
  • Did you know about various training seminars?
A big advantage of working part time was I could meet these folks face to face.  A good number of these interviews, however, were over the phone.  You would be surprised how many people are willing to spend ten or fifteen minutes talking to you.  Just be polite, respect their time and be prepared.  I went into every interview with a list of 10 or 15 questions, including:
  • How did you get into IT?
  • What skills do you recommend for an entry level technical position?
  • What Certifications do you recommend and why?
  • What certifications do you have, and do you find them useful?
  • Do you recommend a degree in IT?
  • Do you have a degree in IT?  Which one?  Do you find it useful?
  • Is there anything else you think I should know as I am getting into IT?
(This list is by no means all inclusive.  Questions may not make sense in every situation, or new questions may come up.  As with everything don't be afraid to tweak it.)

These questions were designed to help me figure out what I need to do to get into IT, and where I should best apply my resources.  It also exposed me to different ways of thinking, as some folks found more value in Certification, or others had heard of new skills I should focus on.  They also helped me build up my ability to take an actual Job Interview.  It is very nerve wracking talking to someone who is doing what you want to do (especially if they're in management)!  

It you have the time (make the time) make some phone calls, send some emails and pound some pavement.  Get out there and see what other people are doing.  Remember, the goal isn't to get a job, or get setup to get one, it's just to ask questions and see what people think.

For me, I learned that I was more interested in Infrastructure (servers, tech support, etc.) than I was with Applications (programming, etc.).  I find this funny since I am now a Programmer Analyst, but at the time it helped me determine my entry back into IT.  It also gave me a good boost of confidence, now I knew what I was aiming at.  It gave me the direction to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment