Friday, July 27, 2012

Preparation Is Key : How to Get Started

I have found that preparation is everything when it comes from IT, from planning out backup rotations, to setting away messages, to studying for certifications to getting advice.

I spent a lot of time before I even applied for a job or looked into a single certification talking to people.  It
began with people I knew who were in IT, mostly programmers (personally I prefer infrastructure, the physical dealings of IT, but I do appreciate those of the programmatic persuasion).  These conversations mostly took the shape of 5 minute discussions over coffee or in hallways.  They really helped pave the way for more important conversations later.

From those friendly conversations I branched out into asking for introductions to IT managers, or System Administrators, or anyone really.  I used social networking a bit (LinkedIN and Facebook), but mostly asked for them face to face with someone I knew.  I was fortunately in that my friends happened to know someone who knew someone who was in IT.  I was able to get myself in front of at least 2 Directors and several other Administrators.

The main focus of my questions revolved around what training do I need.  Is a degree a good idea?  Are certifications the way to go?  Should I volunteer?

For the most part I was told that degrees were only worth if it you wanted to get one (whew).  My interviewee's indicated that degrees were much more scholarly in focus, and that my interest in infrastructure and hands-on learning may be better focused elsewhere.

Certifications were recommended to me as a good place to begin.  They provide an excellent foot in the door and show my intent to continue in the field.  They are second only to actual experience, I was told.
From there, the next steps were easy.

Volunteer.

Study.

Repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment