Thursday, February 21, 2013

Study Tools: Note Cards

I have found that note cards are a great study tool.  I first started using them with Professor Messer's Network+ course.  First I would watch the videos and take copious notes on what was covered.  After that I would take those notes and then transfer the important points to some blank note cards.  From there it was an easy task of just going over them as much as I could.

There are really only three steps in developing this tool.  The secret is discipline.  You have to keep up on it. You must do a little every day and the overall effort will be immense.

The first step in the process is easy to do but takes a bit of practice.  All you have to do is read (or watch) and write down the important points.  The hard part is knowing what information to copy down.  The Sybex lines of books tend to italicize important points, and they also list exam related items at the end of the chapter.  Many books will do a similar thing and alert you to important ideas or definitions through boxes off areas on the page or other visual cues.  When I was using the Professor Messer books I copied over as much as I could write down about what he was saying (everything if I could get it).  This led to a lot of pausing the video so I could catch up with my writing.

The second step is also easy.  Just copy down the most pertinent notes from your first step onto your note cards.  I don't always write down every single note, some things I know I don't need to put onto note card format since I already have it memorized.  My general rule is to put it on a note card if I think it is important and if I cannot repeat the information with no cues.  This process can take a while since you need to re-format the information into a question on one side and then write the answer on the reverse.

The third step is also easy.  Just read the cards.  Read them a lot.  Every day.  Every hour.  Every spare moment you can find read the cards.  The more you go over them, the more they will stick in your brain, and that's the idea.  The key to success is the ability to recall facts, ideas and concepts clearly.

My current Project+ deck, note the business card. (and I'm only about 75% done!)

The biggest problem I have with note cards is simply the size of them.  I end up with stacks several inches high, and carting them all around town is a bit of a pain.  Fortunately, I have figured out some methods to combat this.

  1. Do not make all of your note cards at once.  Instead, make them in sections.  Chapters of a book make for great sections.  Only carry one or two sections at a time.  Study them until you can answer every card, then switch up to another section.
  2. Carry all your note cards in your bag, but only a few on you at any time.  Rotate out cards frequently to keep your brain guessing as to whats next.
  3. Develop two, or more, decks.  Go through all your cards and set aside the ones you cannot answer immediately (My "Stumper" deck).  Take all the cards you know the first time and put them away for now (my "Easy" deck) and only carry around the ones that stump you.  Go over the first deck every other day just to keep it fresh, but focus mostly on the Stumper deck.  As you find yourself answering Stumper deck cards more and more frequently, move them into the Easy deck.  Once you only have one (a BIG Easy deck) you should be doing pretty good!
My stumper deck (right) and the easy deck (left).

The best part for me about this process is I get to spend time in coffee shops listening to music and relaxing.  I am furiously writing out note cards or focusing on reading, but at least I get to see a new spot and enjoy a nice cup of coffee (or tea).

The greatest strength of the note card is for facts.  Things like port numbers, types of contracts, OSI layers etc. are great.  More fluid concepts and ideas can be a bit hard to get on a note card, but at least it will get your brain thinking about these things regularly.

And the best part, 300 blank note cards only put me back $2!

No comments:

Post a Comment